Wednesday, November 7, 2012

10,000 words. WHAT.

I'M DOING IT. I don't know what it is, but I'm doing it. Look here. This project is taking on a life of its own. The plot, which doesn't actually exist, keeps making minor shifts on me when I'm not paying attention. The tense is a thrilling nightmare to try and keep up with. I don't even know what it's called... present progressive, I guess? Is that a terrible idea? My main character wishes to exist in two different patches of time. I guess I'm letting her. I've gone off on long-winded rants about artistic philosophy, modern-day parenting, and psychology. Lots of dialogue, which is good practice, I suppose, because I'm not very good at writing dialogue at all. I'm still working on forming some overarching themes...I feel like I should have more of a grasp on the plot at this point, but I don't. Half the characters I planned on having are unnamed or don't even exist yet.

Here I am with 10,000 words of unedited junk. I'm more positive about it the last couple days, but that could also be because I'm shying away from some of the heavier stuff for now. I realized it may be harder to start with already-rough material AND no clear direction. I'm trying to let this be as organic as possible. To not over-think it too much, and let the words come out as they may. 

Tomorrow, I will have been working on this an entire week! I am proving to myself that I can force myself to write, I can even force myself to enjoy doing it. I mean, I always enjoy writing, but I'm pretty sure that's because I am so used to doing it when I want to, or when I have good ideas ready to go. This is a different experience entirely.



And to reward you for keeping up with my progress, or at least clicking on the link to my blog and glimpsing over it ever-so-slightly, I give you this picture of an adorable baby owl.

No comments:

Post a Comment