Wednesday, September 12, 2012

inspired by spiders

I have succeeded in having a more positive attitude lately, the result of a typical self-help-style life cleanse, you know, out with the old and in with the new, more me-time, plus a few changes here and there in day-to-day organization. I have also given myself a purpose, albeit a short-term project if you’re looking at it from a long-term perspective, but it is fulfilling, which is what I need. The Salon gives me something to work for, and it means something to me because it is affecting the lives of others in a positive way. I think this is what art should be. It should shake us awake, out of our everyday routines, and make us consider new ideas and experiences. I want to be stimulated and inspired, and i want to be able to give others those feelings as well. I have made new friends and strengthened my friendships with old ones. I have an outlet to support not only my creativity, but my drive to help others as well.


Do i still want to leave town? Not immediately. This is new. I have a reason, for now, to stay and see what happens. To move away was supposed to be me leaving one hollow void to enter another.


What i need to decide is what i want to get out of my art, my writing specifically.


Lately, the idea of platonic love, love for friends, those who are my family, has really inspired me. I wrote a song ("Ode to friendship") that I played at the salon that was written for everyone there, and everyone sang the chorus with me. It made me so incredibly happy. But do I want to play music or do I want to write? I feel like the past year or so a lot of my solo creative time has been poured into collaborative work (all music) or other people's projects. That isn't necessarily a problem, i think i just need to learn how to make my own art my priority sometimes. It's something to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment